Monday, February 8, 2016

Chinese New Year 2016

#chinesenewyear #yearofmonkey


Growing up I didn't have a clue about other cultures. My hometown is a small southern city that has a mostly black population. I only knew of Blacks, Whites, and Native Americans. There was only one Asian store that we rarely went in. It wasn't until I moved to Boston that I met someone from a different background. One of my friends was Portuguese and the other was Puerto Rican. My sister best friend was Vietamese. Still we were young and didn't really think about the differences.

So it wasn't until I moved back to Boston as an adult that I paid attention to Chinese New Year. If you have never been to Boston then you would think that it is big but it really is not. Boston is somewhat small. Walk a few minutes from the downtown area and you will arrive in China Town. It is not the biggest China Town by far but it has a pretty fun Chinese New Year celebration.

It was great the sight to behold. The firecrackers popping. The dragon dance. The colorful costumes. The band and the music. All the different people coming together to celebrate a culture.

I have only been to it twice. I am not a fan the cold and February in Boston is definitely cold so twice is all I could manage. Now I am back in the south. The city that I am in has an Asian population but not big enough to have any activities to go to. So this year I will do what the book blogger in me tells me to do...read a book. I am hoping that one day I can go to the Chinese New Year Festival in California.

Are you going to a Chinese New Year festival? Do you throw a party? I'll like to hear about it.


Get Social
*Thank you for stopping by. Comment, Share, and Happy Reading!
**This blog may use cookies to enhance your experience. Also clicking links may take you to a third party website that may use cookies. Most browsers have an option in the right hand corner setting icon to disable the use of cookies.

2 comments:

  1. I love this diversity post and I love Boston, will have to make it happen one day but as you say Boston in February is cold, in my opinion freezing :-)

    The Back Bay area is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right it is cold! I only went out for work and then right back home during the winter. LOL is Back Bay your favorite because it's so close to Copley aka the library?! My favorite is Dorchester mostly because it's easy to get Jamaican beef patties there.

    ReplyDelete